[thelist] News Item: Major Security Flaw in MS SQL Slows Internet

Hugh Blair hblair at hotfootmail.com
Sun Jan 26 02:21:02 CST 2003

Agreed. They're scary. I've had them take a system down more than once.
The (expensive [$ and time]) key is to *not* roll changes into a 'live'
system until they're tested as much as possible on a 'test' system. I've
not always been able to do that - so I've felt "the pain."

> I also feel like I was forced into a Windows environment as when my
> client base was too small to justify a dedicated server, the only
> hosting environment my clients could afford were shared Windows
> accounts.

Now this confuses me. I've always found *nix shared servers at a lower
cost than Win servers. Sure, I had to learn a little about the OS, but
cost was lower.

And will you quit sending that cold air my way? It warms up a little
before it hits Chicago, but not enough :)

Hugh