[thelist] News Item: Major Security Flaw in MS SQL Slows Internet

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Sun Jan 26 04:04:00 CST 2003

On Sunday, January 26, 2003, at 02:19 AM, Hugh Blair wrote:
>> I also feel like I was forced into a Windows environment as when my
>> client base was too small to justify a dedicated server, the only
>> hosting environment my clients could afford were shared Windows
>> accounts.
>
> Now this confuses me. I've always found *nix shared servers at a lower
> cost than Win servers. Sure, I had to learn a little about the OS, but
> cost was lower.

This was in '98 or thereabouts I recall; I was turned onto CF through a
Webmonkey article, and when I decided CF was the solution (for one of
my earliest clients) I did a lot of searching for a host and all the
viable options I founds were under Windows. Not sure if there were
shared Red Hat (or other CF + *nix supported) providers at the time,
but am positive that if there were they were, the ones I found were
above what the client was able/willing to pay for hosting.

> And will you quit sending that cold air my way? It warms up a little
> before it hits Chicago, but not enough :)

As I'm a big fan of fresh air regardless of the outside Minnesotan
temperatures, I always keep my windows open a wee bit  (pun/word play
intentional). So in a small way I am responsible for sending you some
of my steam radiators' warmth.

On Sunday, January 26, 2003, at 01:50 AM, Erik Mattheis wrote:
> Although I keep
> updated, I certainly can sympathize with those who choose not to avoid
> potential problems by using a potentially problematic fix.

For those that the implication was not obvious to, I add that if MS's
updates were open source, problems similar to the iMail one I described
would be much easier to avoid. And fer christ's sake, the more serious
problem I mentioned was a MS update (to Win 2K) causing a
incapacitating problem witr=h another one of their own damn products
(SQL Server 7/2000). This can't be described as anything less than
incompetent
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257267>.

Erik Mattheis
(612) 377 2272