[thelist] CSS, Lists, and Display Issues

Lonnie Kraemer lwkraemer at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 27 21:45:01 CST 2003

> I've got an <ol> that I want to look like this (the dashed line
> represents the width of the page):
>
> ---------------------------------
>   1. item               something
>   2. item2         something else
>   3. item               something
> ---------------------------------
>
> To accomplish this, I've done:

[snip]

> Works great. But here's the problem: if I want "something" to span two
> lines, it won't force the next list item down.

Firstly, you have the list in a paragraph. Paragraphs cannot contain
lists.

How about changing the floated span to a floated div, then include
another clearing div after that before closing the containing div. Of
course the floated div will require a width, so that may or may not be a
problem. Cavaet - the list number will still be at the bottom like your
sample. No suggestion for that right now. Might be a deal breaker :/

<li>
Williams<br>arr. Bruce Houseknecht</div>
Sine Nomine
</li>