[thelist] Google listing methods

Tony Grimes lists at tonygrimes.com
Mon Jan 27 22:43:00 CST 2003

On 1/27/03 7:33 PM, "Erik Mattheis" <gozz at gozz.com> wrote:

> And why does my website come up as the fifth link (or _at all_) in a
> google search for erik mattheis, when my name isn't mentioned
> _anywhere_ in the code? Not that I mind ... but it seems odd (or magic)
> to say the least.

Google stores the link text used when it finds a link to another page. All
someone has to do is use "Erik Mattheis" in the link text when they link to
your site. For example:

This will be a factor in your site's placement for a search on "Erik
Mattheis". It used to be a pretty big ranking factor, but it was scaled back
last fall to fight the spammers.

.tony