[thelist] crash course in PHP/MySQL

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 28 14:39:15 CST 2003

--- Erik Mattheis <gozz at gozz.com> wrote:
> 1. suggestions for PHP books to buy - aimed at people that already
> know
> a scripting language - ie, excellent reference section and index.

To get you running fast you can use this:
Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL -- Kevin
Yank; Paperback (watch the wrap)
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0957921802/qid=1043785699/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-3456370-1939153?v=glance&s=books&n=507846>

While it is NOT comprehensive nor does it have a good reference
section, it will get you set on the basics fast, and get you set up
fast. I started with this after dabbling and it allowed me to jump
ahead to more important things. There are better books out there
though as a reference.

> 2. What is the thing that provides a GUI for MySQL that mimics SQL
> Server's? (I recall it was written by someone in Germany and have
> been
> told it's excellent).

I think you are talking about phpMyAdmin, which I use and highly
recommend, though its not as full featured as SQLServer

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/

HTH

Tom

=====