[thelist] crash course in PHP/MySQL

Peter Loron peterl at standingwave.org
Tue Jan 28 16:28:25 CST 2003

Erik Mattheis wrote:
> I'm doing a complete re-write/re-design for a clients site. I'd like to
> take the opportunity to move from CF/SQL Server to PHP/MySQL (as I
> intend servers I buy in the future to be Mac OS X and understand I
> can't count of CF being available for Mac).
>
> So, two questions:
>
> 1. suggestions for PHP books to buy - aimed at people that already know
> a scripting language - ie, excellent reference section and index.

Professional PHP Programming published by Wrox. Lots of examples, etc.
Reference section is ok, but I find myself normally using the on-line
docs @ php.com.

> 2. What is the thing that provides a GUI for MySQL that mimics SQL
> Server's? (I recall it was written by someone in Germany and have been
> told it's excellent).

MySqlFront is what you're looking for. The project has been
"suspeneded", but the current release (and discussion) is available at
this link:

http://mysqlfront.venturemedia.de/index.php?s=9503bf12672368f1fd43045383a76713&act=ST&f=2&t=328

--
Peter Loron