[thelist] crash course in PHP/MySQL

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Tue Jan 28 22:18:01 CST 2003

On Tuesday, January 28, 2003, at 03:53 PM, .jeff wrote:

> erik,
>
>> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>> From: Erik Mattheis
>> move from
>> CF/SQL Server to PHP/MySQL (as I intend servers I buy
>> in the future to be Mac OS X and understand I can't
>> count of CF being available for Mac).
>> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>
> talk about locking yourself into a very finite server selection.  and,
> what
> a hit to the pocketbook too.

Certainly more expensive than a *nix pizza box ... but my options are:

a. Learn •nix (optimistically a solid week of time to begin to feel
comfortable in, which if I used as billable hours would be approx equal
to the purchase of an Xserve) (and CF isn't free for any OS)
b. Get another Windows box and pay over three times as much in software
alone as for an Xserve.
c. Get an Xserve that I can plug in and it's ready to go with a desktop
I'm already comfortable with. With lots of nifty capabilities such as
allowing my HTML savvy client's web directories appear as hard disks on
their desktop ... christ, OS X Server even includes a mail server. And
be able to move anything on that to an *nix box if I ever decide to go
that way.

> fwiw, cfmx is already available for mac osx so your migration to php is
> unnecessary.

Well, that's the single user developer edition, not for use on a
production server (although I have indeed wondered if one would be
considered a bandit if one ran the developer edition on a production
server and had it write static HTML files).

> i hear php for traitors is a good one.

LOL!

Have no fear, I'm expanding my horizons not riding across them!

Erik Mattheis
(612) 377 2272
<http://goZz.com/>