[thelist] crash course in PHP/MySQL

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Wed Jan 29 00:36:01 CST 2003

On Tuesday, January 28, 2003, at 11:27 PM, Ken Schaefer wrote:
> Not sure where you're getting your pricing from, but looking at Apple's
> online store here I can see (in AUD) a dual 1GHz machine with 512 MB
> RAM
> going for $8995. I'm not sure what type of solution you're going to
> build
> using mySQL that would require $27,000 worth of server software on an
> Intel
> based machine.

No, re-explaining, my "three times as much in software alone" statement
would be if I filled up an Intel box with the same (or current
equivalent to the) software I have running now:

CFMX Pro                              $1,299
SQL Server 2000                    2,500 (*)
iMail 250 users                           999
Win 2K Server                         1,200
                                                 $5,998

(*) I have no idea what M$'s confusing licensing would be for SQL
Server, am just guesstimating based on what I paid for SQL Server 7
years ago.

My Intel server is a single 1 GHz/768 MB RAM and handles it's load with
ease. The equivalent Xserve would be

1 GHz / 256 MB RAM         $2,999
additional 512 MB RAM          200
equiv. software                  included
                                                 $3,199

So, the proportion I pulled out of the air _is_ an exaggeration, but
the reality is not too far off: I could have accurately said "nearly
twice as much in software alone". And of course, I _would_ have to buy
the hardware, today's equivalent would be an IBM xSeries 305, $1500
plus whatever it is for 512MB RAM and a 2nd HD to add to the base
configuration. So " two and a half times as much in software and
hardware" wouldn't be an exaggeration.

> I'm not trying to suggest you change what you want.

Please do feel free to evangelize! If I can get almost the same thing
as would come with an Xserve for the price of some Intel hardware alone
and can be convinced I want to do it, I'm all for it ... but be warned
I tried to noodle around with Red Hat 7.something last Spring and gave
up two days later feeling just as mystified as I started ... and maybe
a more important warning is that I'm a long time Mac freak and it's
sick how much we enthusiastically pay for Apple products ...

Things that would convince me would be stuff like "You never have to
call up a command prompt unless you want to ..." ... like is there
something like Lindows that's aimed at people accustomed to
administering a IIS server through a terminal desktop?

<tip type="Administer your Win 2K Server with a Mac" author="Erik
Mattheis">

Want to access a Windows desktop from your Mac OS X desktop? Try:

<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/rdc/default.asp>

It completely rocks in every way. Works better than the Windows
version, as when you tell it what screen resolution you want to use, it
gives you a window of that resolution instead of a window of that
resolution minus ever-present vertical and horizontal scrollbars.

</tip>

Erik Mattheis
(612) 377 2272
<http://goZz.com/>