[thelist] ASP Forum

David McCreath mccreath at kadmium.net
Wed Jan 29 19:45:01 CST 2003

Hi, Michele --

We installed a version of Snitz here and I have mixed feelings about it.
Caveats: we had to get it running in a hurry, integrate with an existing
security system, integrate with an existing look and feel, and the user
base was going to be under a hundred (so we weren't super concerned
about performance). Most importantly, we did it almost two years ago, so
I don't know what might have changed since then.

We're using it behind a firewall, but due to the nature of the
discussion, we still needed to have security, and integrating it with
our current security required a lot of hacking. So if you're putting it
on a member-driven site, and you want the log in information to carry
over to the forum, you might have to do some hacking, too.

All of the appearance stuff was HTML 3.2 (font tags, background colors,
etc.). I spent a full day just going through the templates stripping
those out and replacing them with CSS.

It's sloooow. The database calls are not very optimized, and if you use
a lot of the user info options (last log in, number of posts since last
visit, etc), expect to see some slow page loads. And we're running SQL
Server on a twin proc machine, not Access.

All that said, it's been running without a hiccup since we got it going,
and serving its purpose rather nicely. When we have time to upgrade,
though, we're probably going to use the ASP.NET forum code.

HTH,
David