[thelist] Flash and CF data options?

matt g mrg at members.evolt.org
Thu Jan 30 10:03:08 CST 2003

Hello,
I've got several projects which are leaning toward data-driven Flash right
now. I'm trying to review my options before pursuing it by outsourcing the
Flash part of it.

The projects are mostly about images. As in, here's category A, with 10
images or projects - then you click on the thumbnail to get the larger
image, or full project info. Also, it's not important that the data be
"live". Checking for current data once a day would be fine.

Option 1
Use Cold Fusion to make static text files containing arrays for each
category, project, etc. Flash then loads variables depending on what
category/project is clicked on.

Option 2
Use Flash Remoting and CFCs to do a similar thing.

Option 3
Something else entirely.

Question 1
Does either option limit us to using UI Components in Flash to display the
data? Or can we have a row of clickable images instead?

Question 2
Is either option "better" for speed, or maintenance or any other reason? It
seems that option 1 is simpler, and avoids the cost of Remoting server (or
whatever it is that costs another $900/cpu).

Thanks for any input,
Matt G