[thelist] Menu Highlighting

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Fri Jan 31 07:18:01 CST 2003

Hi Folks ..

I'm working on a registration application (forms) with a layout such as this
..

Consultants
        General Info
        Addresses
        Education
        Resume
        Specific Info for Consultants Only

Volunteers
        General Info
        Addresses
        Education
        Resume
        Specific Info for Volunteers Only

Alumni
        General Info
        Addresses
        Specific Info for Alumni Only

... with the possibility of maybe 2 more main groups.

Here's a sample of the menu highlighting that I have now .. but it's only
for one group (i.e. Consultants, Volunteers, Alumni tabs aren't there).  I'm
in the process of creating the second group's registration forms now .. the
rest will follow later.

Taking me a long time to get to my question ;)

What I want to have happen is .. the main tabs that the user will see will
be [Consultants] [Volunteers] [Alumni] [Log Out] (these will be on the first
line).  User clicks on [Consultants] and the sub menu (titles above) will
appear underneath .. as those are they pages they need to fill out for that
group.

What I haven't been able to get my head around is .. how to indicate when
they are on [Consultants] [Addresses] .. I want both of those tabs to be
highlighted.  But Addresses appears in all groups.

I want to make this as easy as possible for the user to know exactly where
they are.  Note that, whatever Addresses they enter in one group will also
be available in the other groups.

Right now I use this ..

 ScriptName = Request.ServerVariables("SCRIPT_NAME")
<% IF instr(1,ScriptName,"address",1) = 0 then %>
<% ELSE %>
<% END IF %>

I guess I could create the address.asp file three times .. c_address.asp,
v_address.asp, a_address.asp .. and use that for the menu highlighting ..
but that seems rather inefficient as it's the same address file.

I'm a bit lost and confused on how to do this .. ideas, suggestions greatly
appreciated.  JavaScript dependent would not be well received by the client
.. it should *work* in NS4.x .. but we're not as concerned if the layout is
a bit messed up (i.e. form fields are larger,  cantering across the page is
odd).

TIA,

Michele