[thelist] (SQL) Count Distincts

Tab Alleman Tab.Alleman at MetroGuide.com
Fri Jan 31 17:52:01 CST 2003

I am trying to get a count of Distinct IP's from my homemade hit-log
database (don't ask).  The db is MySQL.  I'm trying this:

SELECT DISTINCT ClientIP, COUNT(*), Month(TimeStamp),
DayOfMonth(TimeStamp) FROM RedirectLog WHERE (TimeStamp BETWEEN
'20030130000000' AND '20030131000000') GROUP BY Month(TimeStamp),
DayOfMonth(TimeStamp)

But it doesn't appear to be doing what I want.  The Count per day is the
same as it was when I didn't have "DISTINCT ClientIP, " in there, and I
know from looking at the raw data that there are some duplicate
ClientIP's in the data.  The MySQL docs don't have an example (that I
could find) of what I'm trying to do.

What am I doing wrong?  (besides not getting enough sleep)

TIA,
Tab