[thelist] free HTML editors - recommendations please

Sarah poohbear at designshift.com
Fri Jan 31 17:54:01 CST 2003

This topic has probably been discussed extensively already, but since the
results I got when searching for it were all at least a year old, I hope no
one will flame me for bringing it up :)

I would like to find a *free* HTML editor with the following features:
- syntax colouring for HTML, JavaScript, ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, CSS, Perl...
- search and replace for multiple files or folders
- many levels of undo! (that aren't lost after you save the file)
- directory browser
- integrated FTP
- tag auto-completion and/or code "hints" would be really nice

I've done some searching on download.com and tucows.com for free HTML
editors. The best editors I found listed there, and others that I've heard
are good, are:
- Crimson Editor
- HTML Helper Webmaster
- Jext
- Arachnophilia
- HTML Kit
- NoteTab Light
- Max's HTML Beauty (this is a somewhat not-politically-correct program)

Here is what I would like to know:
1) Has anyone had any really good or really bad experiences with these
programs?
2) Are there other really good *free* HTML editors that people can suggest?

Hopefully I can use any responses to compile a short list of HTML editors
to try out so that I can pick the best for me (and maybe others can do the
same).

Thanks in advance for any help in this!

Sarah