[thelist] Project Websites

Debbie Lefkowitz debbie at pureproject.com
Fri Jan 31 22:34:01 CST 2003

Hi Tony,

<I've got a large web project starting on Monday and I need to build a
project website for the stakeholders to give feedback, download the meeting
minutes, etc. I remember reading about a book that went into detail about
building them, but I can't remember the title or author.

Do any of you guys have any recommendations on books or websites that talk
about project websites? I've got the basics in my head, but I want to cover
all my bases.>

I'm a project manager who lurks on this list, but perhaps can help with your
question.

I've never seen a book that covers this topic, though if you find one, do
let me know! But really, a staging site/project site can be as simple or
fancy as you want.

The main things I'd expect to see are:

1. Project Calendar with key meeting and deliverable dates. This is the
biggest pain, nice if you can find one in HTML you can just insert. (Or link
to MS Project Central if you're in the money)

2. Weekly status reports, listed by dates
3. Contact info for team members and client contacts
4. All meeting notes, next step lists, task lists etc..
5. Current risk list
6. Core deliverables, i.e. requirements spec. flowcharts, storyboards, links
to prototypes etc..
7. Links to project schedule if it's browser based or html version of say MS
Project Schedule
8. White papers, nice educational materials or glossary that explain what
all this stuff is if your client is new to web dev.
9. Definition of team roles. Sounds silly, but lots of stakeholders don't
know what a graphic designer or information architect is, or they think they
know, but have it wrong. It's helpful to let stakeholders know who is in
charge of what. Reduces problems later.

It's nice to "brand" the site with your company name, logo and even a
welcome blurb, all nice for client relations. I've always considered these
sites as much a way to promote your incredible organizational abilities and
web dev. knowledge as a useful tool.

I'm sure I'm leaving things out, but this seems like a good place to start.

Cheers,

Debbie Lefkowitz, The PureProject Group
“Helping Service Businesses Take Control of Their Projects”

The PureProject Group can help you:
*  Create winning proposals
*  Build and maintain useful schedules and
   budgets
*  Identify and resolve project risks
*  Manage teams and clients
*  Bring in your projects on-time and
   on budget

Contact us today for more information and a free project assessment:

mailto:debbie at pureproject.com
(415) 577-8231
www.pureproject.com