[thelist] [DB Design] Recursive Directory Structure

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at curf.edu
Sat Feb 1 20:05:01 CST 2003

>> Am I explaining this clearly?
>
> yup, but you didn't ask a question    ;o)

rudy, you are right as always

> decide to go down some fixed number of levels, say 4, which you do
> with a 4-way self join, which is only one call to the database, very
> efficient, but it doesn't necessarily traverse the subtree all the
> way down

Now you've got me re-thinking the structure entirely... I suppose I
could swithc my display around so that it shows the current level and
indicates that there are levels further down... I guess I really never
thought of it, but I don't need to show the whole damn tree at once, and
certainly not every time... Hmm...

This is another thing to put on my "sleep on it" list. Fortunately, this
one doesn't have a deadline...

> now here's the question of the moment, feel free to play along at
> home --

Ok...

> you know the little plus sign you get in the windows explorer folder
> pane? and how you have to click on the little plus sign to get it to
> explode? and it only explodes one level, right?  did you know you can
> do that, expand that folder to show the folders within it, by
> pressing the plus sign (either above the equals sign, or on your
> numeric keypad), or, alternatively, using the right and left arrow
> keys?

Why yes, I did... Which is odd as I greatly prefer using the mouse.

> do you know what the keyboard shortcut is to explode *all*
> folders to *all* levels?

Not a clue... I sense a <tip> coming up though... :)

--Ken