[thelist] contract expiration, project incomplete

moni_orife mko at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Feb 3 10:44:00 CST 2003

I have a contract with a client – overall it’s been a very poor experience.
The contract has expired once already (in october) and has now expired once
more (end of january).

This project involves 3 individuals, me (doing the user interface and
client-side coding), a backend coder, and the project head/boss/etc.  The
project head hired me to do the user interface and generate client-side
prototypes but has continuously failed to communicate complete
specifications, waiting until I’ve already prototyped before communicating
the proper functionality.  The documents i have to work with are so
incomplete.  I still don’t have  50% of the spec., things like side
navigation (!), etc.

It’s become blatantly obvious that this individual has never done serious
software development before and basically, this is a nightmare project that
i just want to be over...  although could use the money of which 60% is
outstanding.

Any recommendations on what to do?  I’ve gotten tough with him, but he
constantly does the disappearing act, claiming things like meetings & deaths
in the family of which I’m skeptical, but such a thing is hard to dismiss.
He has a tendency to not respond to emails that I’m stern with him about.
:(

any thoughts?

thanks

 - moni