[thelist] server.transfer

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Mon Feb 3 15:50:35 CST 2003

Hey Martyn,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martyn Haigh" <martyn.haigh at virgincosmetics.com>

> > Well, what's happening is .. it's including my header twice .. and the
url
> > doesn't change from login.asp to welcome.asp .. which is where I want
them
> > to go.
>
> This sounds like your login page and your welcome pages both have headers
> (the same?)?

Yes.

> > Is this the expected result and I'm misunderstanding what
server.transfer
> > is used for .. and I'd be better off just using response.redirect to
> > welcome.asp page as that's where I want them to go.
>
> No no - heres a short run down for you :
> Response.redirect - the server sends a message to the web browsers, which
in
> turn sends a message back to the web server asking for the specified page.
> This is like loading a new page - but without the user clicking on
anything.
> (client side re-direct)

<snips>

Thanks for the info ...all I want to have happen is to move to another page
.. I don't care about anything on/from the login page ... we did our
error-checking, we validated, set our cookies ... we're done there, let's
move on ;) .. so, I'll use response.redirect as I really DO want to load a
new page.

I can anticipate wanting to use server.transfer for other things tho .. just
not this.

Thanks again,

Mich