[ot] Re: [thelist] IP obfuscation

bellsouth jveillo at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 4 01:38:06 CST 2003

It used to be used for spam and other such *nice* things. I think MS stopped
allowing hex numbers in IEv3

It just makes it harder for people to become aware of the web address of the
site they're visiting -not too many people like to pay attention to numbers.

For instance, notice that my site address is at the end of this URL:

http://yahoo.com_update_credit_information_accountnumber_758s@ebigman.com/

If you click on it you should see that it doesn't go to Yahoo at all.

If I could use numbers in place of my website name it would most probably
not register in your mind. It would be even less noticeable if it weren't
even in the IP quad format. In fact, most people have become used to the
idea that numbers often follow things like URL's to web forms. The more
obscure one can make the real site address the more likely that it is to
fool the unknowing victim.

james