[thelist] Another interesting encounter with Google listings (was: An interesting encounter with thelist archive ...)

Morgan Kelsey morgan at morgankelsey.com
Tue Feb 4 08:18:01 CST 2003

david,

> I recently had a problem similar to this.  One of my clients actually
> demanded that I remove the link to his website from my portfolio.  Why?
> My portfolio page appeared in Google's results whenever someone searched
> for his company name, and on my webpage I admit to being 16 years old.
> Apparently this had caused one of his customers to back out of a $250
> sale because the customer "did not trust the work of a 16 year old."

[snip]

> Anyways, my client told me to either remove my age from my own website
> (it's a personal site for crying out loud!) or remove his website from
> my portfolio.  Do any of y'all have suggestions for my situation?

hmmm, i used to have that problem too, but it went away eventually.
;o)

unfortunately, prejudice is a factual human condition that many people with
average to subaverage IQs suffer from. if i were you, i would just take my age of
my home page, as the link to your site on your client's is what will ultimately
get you more work.

i think it's great you're so young (and had no idea by the way), but sadly it's
not a feature a prospective client will be looking for. it may blow them away
later to find out your age though, which can work to your advantage.
a smart client will say to themselves, "how can i get my hooks into this awesome
kid for the long haul?"

good luck,

nagrom-the-ever-aging
http://morgankelsey.com/