[thelist] Order of attributes in META tag

Roger Ly rogerly at bareviking.com
Tue Feb 4 19:33:00 CST 2003

Can anyone verify whether or not the order of attributes in a <meta> tag
is important?  I have an application that is outputting
complaining that a validator is not finding any <meta> tags.  It seems
to be validating quite nicely with the W3C validator.

Is it just a bad parser that is looking for 'meta name="' that is
causing the problem with this rogue validator?  Or is it important that
the name attribute comes before the content attribute?  In practice,
does it really matter?

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#h-7.4.4 doesn't seem
to answer my question.  It looks like it can be in any order, but my
ability to read these docs has seem to have gotten worse as time goes
by.

Thanks,

Roger