[thelist] ProCite and PHP - how do they mix?

Ashok Hariharan listman at hazard0us.org
Wed Feb 5 01:14:00 CST 2003

This is some coincidence!

I started work on a project last week that uses
ProCite.
ProCite is a citation database used for creating
library catalogs or any other kind of electronic
indexing catalog - that links back to a paper
publication. ProCite allows building of various
methods of categorizing info and building
thesauruses out of it.
Its used very widely by the scientific and library
community.

Unfortunately ProCite doesn't support *any* kind
of native connectivity to external systems,
(no odbc/native api access -- I got that
information straight from procite support)
which was one reason there wasn't anybody else
willing to take on this particular project.

However, it does support export of data to text
files.
Again, the process of export cannot be automated
it *has* to be done manually.  My clients don't
mind doing that manually since they will be
exporting the database just once a month.

Once the procite date has been exported i run
a python script on it to filter out the data
and do some error checking.
(Yeah, the export functionality isn't very
good either)

After that i pump the data into sql server 2000
db,from where the website picks it up.
(i went for sql2000 because of the good full
text indexing features...)

If all you want is the procite db to be made
available  over the web, you can take a look
at:

Reference web poster
http://www.isiresearchsoft.com/rwp/
(from the same company that makes procite)

However, beware of an incredibly
ugly/unusable/non-customisable online interface to
the information with the above product (which is
why my client didn't go for it in the first place)

HTH

--ashok

>Has anybody used ProCite (it's apparently some DB
>solution) with PHP?
>How much science is behind making them interact?
>PHP doesn't natively support it (didn't find any
>references to it)... are there any PHP classes that
>connect to the DB?

------
Ashok Hariharan
listman(at)hazard0us.org