[thelist] PHP & MySql hosting

Abdullah Shaikh abdullah at uxdg.com
Wed Feb 5 09:41:01 CST 2003

CAVEAT EMPTOR:  You get what you pay for.  Is your online presence or better
yet, the online presence of your customers worth $3 ?

I learned the hard way....  almost lost all my clients because of technical
issues with my bargain basement web host, and decided to do it myself, by
getting my own server and colocating.

Initially it was tough, but I get EXACTLY what I want, get service WHEN I
NEED TO (try getting your $3 a month host on the phone... you have a better
chance of seeing Elvis).

Now I have a full cage at AboveNet (3 racks, 180u of space)... which is a
single hop from their OC192 backbone.

It was tough at first, but it eventually starts to even out when you get
more clients, or find others in the same boat as you and offer them a
dedicated server for their needs.

I am not interested in competing with a $3 a month impersonal webhosting
company that has no idea who their clients are -- but if a fellow developer
out there has gone through the process and is frustrated with the LACK of
service you get (again, get what you pay for) -- let me know.  I have some
room left in my cage...

- abdullah at uxdg.com
abdullah shaikh
technical director