[thelist] mysql/php - choosing a suitable date format

Dunstan Orchard dunstan at 1976design.com
Wed Feb 5 09:44:01 CST 2003

Hi there,

I need help chosing a date format for use with mysql. I am building
an 'events' database.

[1] I want the user to be able to input a date for a _future_ event in dd-mm-
yyyy format.
[2] This then needs to be stored in a mysql db in a form that allows me to;
[3] Query each event's date and create a dropdown list of all the months where
events are listed.
[4] Then when someone selects 'August' grab all the events that occur in
August.
[5] And finally, convert this date format into a 'Monday 3rd August, 2003'
format for nicer presentation in the browser.

So, what format do I store the thing in?

The conversion stuff I'm sure I can find elsewhere, but I can't work out what
initial format to choose :o/

Thanks for any advice,

- Dunstan