[thelist] onClick="open problem

Kelly Hallman khallman at wrack.org
Wed Feb 5 22:32:26 CST 2003

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Hugh Blair wrote:
> [...]

Well, since you say there are no .htaccess files in effect, I am referring
to the configuration of the httpd server itself, which would probably
require root/administrative access on the machine, not just permissions in
the directories it serves from...

An .htaccess file is just a mechanism to override server settings, so the
absense of any .htaccess files does not mean there is an absense of
settings, they are set in a server configuration file instead..

On that note, perhaps it is possible to use .htaccess to override the
settings of that images directory, but you will only be able to do what
the server's configuration allows you to do within an .htaccess file.

> > A look at the error log would probably give you a better idea of why
> > this error is being generated...
>
> Yep - not much clue. Here's the line created when this is called:
> 12.84.142.85 - - [05/Feb/2003:12:29:06 -0600] "GET
> /cgi-bin/store/html/images/1014.html HTTP/1.1" 500 - "-" "Mozilla/4.0
> (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0; AIRF)"

That looks like the access log...it does indicate a 500 error, but there
is another log (probably) where the errors are written, which should give
a (semi-)descriptive error message.

> The online application (cart) has upload ability in the Admin area, but
> the file(s) are put in the /images directory. That's why I want to
> access it from there. If I can't, I'll be forced to have my user learn
> an FTP program - yuk!

As long as you know where the files are (and a browser can access any of
them it needs), there's probably a way to get everything to work with the
right relative or absolute path action.  Though, I admit it's inconvenient
to have files scattered all over; I'm not proposing any solutions to the
bigger problem of convenience :)

--
Kelly Hallman
http://wrack.org/