[thelist] RE: Site check: www.rspb.org.uk

Rob Whitener rwhitener at DesignOptions.com
Thu Feb 6 08:21:22 CST 2003

Nice site,  I looked at it in Opera 6.2.3 and it seems that the
"International" menu button at the top is broken into two pieces with the
larger piece placed just under the "birds" and "gardens" buttons.  I didn't
get a chance to look at every single page, but that is the only thing that I
can see.

I have a question for you, I have seen similar layouts on many web pages,
where content seems to be separated up into boxes.  I think it looks very
stylish and clean.  I am wondering how this is accomplished.  Is it all CSS,
and if so how many hoops do you have to jump through for cross-browser
compatibility?  I have a bookmark folder full of links, but know of any good
online resources, or can you recommend any good books regarding these topics
(page layouts, css, and cross-browser)?

Again, very nice site.

Thanks,

Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: Bird, Graham [mailto:Graham.Bird at rspb.org.uk]
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 9:05 AM
To: 'thelist at lists.evolt.org'
Subject: [thelist] RE: Site check: www.rspb.org.uk

Hi,

Colin wrote:

> ...the picture in the "How Can You Help" section is
> going over the bottom border of the box in IE 5.5. You could change the
> height of the box, crop the picture, or put an empty paragraph tag below
the
> link.

I've been looking at this, but I'm not sure how to pad the box out without
(as you say) adding some other markup or forcing the height of the box. I'd
rather not add other tags if I don't have to, and the CSS doesn't seem to
want to behave. I thought the image would push the box down rather than
overlap it.

> Otherwise, beautiful site.

Many thanks,

Graham