[thelist] free HTML editors - recommendations please

Sarah poohbear at designshift.com
Thu Feb 6 16:07:06 CST 2003

>I would like to find a *free* HTML editor with the following features:
>- syntax colouring for HTML, JavaScript, ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, CSS, Perl...
>- search and replace for multiple files or folders
>- many levels of undo! (that aren't lost after you save the file)
>- directory browser
>- integrated FTP
>- tag auto-completion and/or code "hints" would be really nice
>
>Hopefully I can use any responses to compile a short list of HTML editors
>to try out so that I can pick the best for me (and maybe others can do the
>same).

In case anyone was wondering, I did some research on quite a few HTML
editors, including all those I had originally mentioned, as well as all
those mentioned in reply to my question. I even downloaded and tried out
several (HTML Helper Webmaster, Crimson Editor, Arachnophilia, SourceEdit,
Jext, and JEdit). As it turned out, the first one I tried was HTML-Kit -
WOW!, I love it! It has all of the features I was looking for; although I
did have to download a plugin to get multiple-file search and replace (then
again, the sheer amount of plugins for this tool is great, cause it means I
can probably get any functionality I want, and that there is an active
community of users of this tool, which I'd say this is the next best thing
to it being open source).

Thanks to everyone who made a suggestion (I did take them all seriously - I
didn't want to rush into switching to a new editor and then find out later
that there was a better one that I should have tried).

Sarah