[thelist] ASP advantages and disadvantages

Paul Bennett paul at teltest.com
Thu Feb 6 17:11:00 CST 2003

AJ McKee wrote:

>A loaded question I am sure, and one covered before, but I was wondering
>on a personal and professional level what developers think the
>advantages and disadvantages of Active Server Pages are?
>
>Leaving out the marketing blurb and the "Linux" is better stuff, what
>are the sound reasons for going with ASP and the bad things about ASP.

Sound reasons [IMHO] :
- VBScript syntax - If you are familar w vbscript then programming in
asp will be easier as a transition

"Bad things"
- Can (generally) incur extra hosting costs due to isp's having to
recoup OS costs
- VBScript synatx - kind of weird when you are used to javascript / C
style constructs

FYI - The first exerience I had w server-side programming I had w ASP
and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I made the "switch" to PHP as I work in a
Linux (webserver) environment and found it a lot easier to pick up (esp
the C-styule syntax) and also found a lot less code was needed for what
I was doing before in ASP. That is just my OPINION (and the less code
thing was probably just due to better programming practices than
anything else). no flames please- I'm fragile today ;)

--
Paul Bennett
Internet Developer
Email : paul at teltest.com