[thelist] ASP advantages and disadvantages

Michael K. Ahn ahnfire at optonline.net
Fri Feb 7 08:31:23 CST 2003

Well... you would probably only want to choose ASP if you already were
running IIS/MS stuff anyway.  Then the costs are minimum.  Probably does not
make sense to switch over from any type of *nix system.

Things that are good in ASP: commercial level support, ADO, COM.  Obviously,
these benefits are on realized when Microsoft is the worthwhile solution.  I
think it is less overhead to run ASP/IIS as opposed to ActiveState/IIS or
CF/IIS for example.

Things that are bad in ASP: interpreted instead of compiled.  (not an issue
with asp.net)  VBScript instead of VB (also not an issue with asp.net).
Locked into MS platform.

michael