[thelist] SQL order by

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Fri Feb 7 09:05:00 CST 2003

[Using MS SQL Server, I think v7.0 or so]

I have SQL as follows:

SELECT EventCategory.EventCategoryID, EventCategory.EventCategory,
EventType.EventTypeID, EventType.EventType, [snip many more], FROM
EventCategory (nolock), EventType (nolock) where
(EventCategory.Eventcategoryid = EventType.EventCategoryID) AND
EventType.EventTypeHeadline <> '' AND EventCategory.EventCategoryID in
(6,5,7,8,10,11,12,13,14,16,17 ) order by EventCategory.EventCategory,
EventType.EventType

Now, the important bit for this question is:

EventCategory.EventCategoryID in (6,5,7,8,10,11,12,13,14,16,17 )

where the numbers are not in numeric order.

Even if I remove the "ORDER BY" part, the results come out in numeric
order. Is there any way to preserve the order I have set (6,5,7, etc)?

(The order isn't very different in this version, and it's not frightfully
urgent. In future versions, however, I may want vastly different ones, like
17,2,5,11,6... )

Cheers,
Drew.

Drew Shiel                               webmaster at swiftpay.com