[thelist] I need info on web tech education

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Fri Feb 7 10:12:01 CST 2003

> I'm a novice at web development, and I'm wanting to learn as much as I
> can.

Whereabouts are you? I'm just about to complete a degree in Internet
Computing at the Scarborough Campus of the University of Hull, United
Kingdom, and I am completely sold. The course is just excellent, the staff
enthusiastic and dedicated, and I'm just thrilled to have had the chance to
do it. There's a 1 year MSC course too, and they just introduced mixed
courses so you can do IC with music technology and IC with graphics.

The only thing I'd say they don't offer is any sort of graphic design
guidance at all. So you learn everything from HTML to XML and all sorts of
XML applications such as SMIL, VRML, and SVG, their main language is Java,
so we're happy with Java and this semester are doing the J2EE thing,
concentrating mostly on Java beans. But there's lots on networking too, so
we're just starting things like network security and forensic computing.

I looked at commercial courses and learning as I went along before I took
this course, and I really don't think I'd be so confident and have such a
good grounding if I'd taken any other route.

And, of course, Scarborough is one of the UK's original coastal resort
towns, so it's a beautiful area to live (there aren't any jobs, not in IT
anyway, tho).

I'm really not in the pay of the uni, I'm just a satisfied customer :-)