[thelist] Returning form values of inspection

Mark Gillingham markgill at uwalumni.com
Sat Feb 8 22:23:01 CST 2003

I did not realize before that SELECT types of form fields would not
easily return the selected value through a NAME variable like a simple
TEXT type does. For instance

<INPUT TYPE="text" NAME"firstname" VALUE='<?php echo "$firstname";?>'>

Will return the value assigned to firstname when the form is returned
subsequent times. I'm having trouble getting a selection to do the
same. perhaps it cannot. For instance

<P><STRONG>Binding Type:</STRONG><BR>
					<SELECT NAME="binding_type"  SIZE=1 MAXLENGTH=50>
					<OPTION VALUE="perfect_binding">Perfect Binding</OPTION>
					<OPTION VALUE="stapled" >Stapled</OPTION>
					<OPTION VALUE="hard_cover" >Hard Cover</OPTION>
					</SELECT>

I don't think SELECT  allows a VALUE to be assigned so when a form is
re-entered the default is returned instead of the previously selected
value. How does one get around this? In other words, I want to assign
the selection to a variable that can be returned if the form is viewed
again for verification.

Mark Gillingham
markgill at uwalumni.com
www.loftnet.com/roots/