[thelist] How to do in JavaScript ?

kevin D. white kevination at suchsmallhands.com
Mon Feb 10 10:35:02 CST 2003

Ian Cannonier wrote:

>Hi all,
>I have a two part question regarding the use of JavaScript.
>I'm currently building a site which requires me to do the following:-
>
>1. Record the users PC/Profile name.
>2. When a document is printed from the site to add a banner on the
>printed page to say where it has come from.

Both of these items are not normally accessible via JavaScript. That
doesn't mean it can't be done though. You will have to investigate the
use of a signed script. A signed script is a script that asks permission
from the user to break out of the normal security sandbox in order to
access an object that is normally beyond reach. There may be other
barriers to achieving your goal. It all depends on the scope and purpose
of your application. A more detailed description of the application, the
intended user population, and the setting in which the application is
used would all be helpful.