[thelist] special characters, language

Mike Migurski mike at saturn5.com
Tue Feb 11 02:05:01 CST 2003

>I have a client who has one link and one page on his site in Chinese.
>Obviously, it is only viewable to a person with thier browsers configured
>for that.
>
>Is there a way to test to see if their browser is configured for it so I
>can hide that if they can't read it? I hate a bunch of garbled text
>showing on a page.

You can check for the Accept-Language header sent by the browser - if it
includes chinese, serve the link in chinese.

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.4

There was an excellent guide to localization with PHP I saw recently, that
described a resource-like method to implement multilingual sites. I can
track down the link, though I think I may have gotten it from one of these
lists.

                 http://www.saturn5.com/mike/contact.html

                "Freedom! Horrible, horrible freedom!"