[thelist] Who owns the domain? Registrant or Admin contact?

Boris Mann boris at bmannconsulting.com
Tue Feb 11 13:09:01 CST 2003

On Tuesday, February 11, 2003, at 01:58 PM, Tony Grimes wrote:

> I'm thinking of making an offer for a domain name, but I only have
> access to
> the Administration contact. It looks like he's a web designer who
> registered
> it on behalf of a client (who is no longer using it and is listed as
> Registrant with no email).
>
> The web designer is willing to take offers, but does he even have the
> authority to sell it? Any help would be appreciated.
>
> .tony

The Registrant "owns" the domain, so the Admin contact does not
*legally* have the authority to sell it.

However, in practice, the Admin info is what is required to work with a
domain, including changing the Registrant info (barring some ccTLDs,
such as Canada's .ca), so in practice domains are handed back and forth
with Admin info.

If you want it to be all legit, I would suggest going through the web
designer to get the Registrant's info. You may still have to deal with
the web designer to get the domain in your name.

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bmannconsulting.com