[thelist] xml schema tutorials & xml guidance in general

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Wed Feb 12 07:00:01 CST 2003

Hi

As a side issue to the project I'm working on there is a requirement to
make metadata (about images - in Dublin Core format) available as an xml
document.

I have this:
http://dublincore.org/documents/dc-xml-guidelines/

and I think the purpose is to be able to link with this:
http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.html

at some point.

Because it's all a bit vague and not central to the project I've put it
to one side, of course the deadline is now approaching to create xml
records of the metadata.

All the data is in a MySQl database (but split between tables)

I have no problem getting the data into an xml template (using PHP and
output buffering) what I am confused about is the topping and tailing of
an xml file that is required.

how do I write a schema, what namespace do I need etc.

Anyone got any good tutorials they can point me to?  I need something
simple  that would help me understand what each chunk of an xml file is
about.

If anyone can show me a working application that would present the xml
metadata in human readable form that would be interesting too, I'm
having a hard time getting my head round the *point* of it all. (seems
to me it's about making data accessible, but accessible to what?)

TIA

Tony