[thelist] MDSE vs SQL Server

Paul Bennett paul at teltest.com
Mon Feb 17 14:13:01 CST 2003

Forgive if this is a dumb question - I'm not to up with the play on M$
stuff.
We will be involved with a wap application which will pull info from an
existing Sql Server database. The interface to the database is a
proprietary job logging system and we haven't yet been successful in
getting them to tell us what the schema of the database is.
(1) Is there a standard gui tool with sql server that will allow us to
view the database schema?
(2) Is there a "developer version" of sql server that we can purchase
for testing? We would only use this server version for this project, and
so are looking to minimize our cost outlay (read: "we are cheap"). The
ms site has been no help so far. (May be because I was using Moz ;) )
(3) I have heard that the MSDE (which is bundled with some developer
suites) is essentially the "guts" of SQL Server. Is this true or a
fallacy? Is it possible to isolate this component (the MSDE) in order to
use it as a test database server?

Thanks in advance for your guru advice.

--
Paul Bennett