[thelist] database connection across different IP's

Paul Bennett paul at teltest.com
Tue Feb 18 16:59:00 CST 2003

We have a client who wants to connect an Access db to their website to
post job listings. They have a permanent internet connection with a
fixed IP address, but no webserver at their premises (so there goes the
idea of  them hosting their site from their office using their permanent
connection).
Their database server is (obviously) behind a firewall.
My question is this: is it possible to use php to access a database
server behind a firewall using not a domain as a "pointer" (is that the
right word?) reference but an ip address.
EG: can I say (on an hourly basis using a cron job of some sort) "Go to
<server_name> at <ip address> and get all the database records and dump
them into our mirror table on the website?" Or do I need a FQDN to do
that? (We will have the option of mucking around with their firewall
settings in order to get the connection IN to the internal network.)
Thanks in advance,

--
Paul Bennett
Internet Developer