[thelist] database connection across different IP's

Carlos Costa Portela ccosta at servidores.net
Tue Feb 18 17:11:01 CST 2003

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Paul Bennett wrote:
> Their database server is (obviously) behind a firewall.
> My question is this: is it possible to use php to access a database
> server behind a firewall using not a domain as a "pointer" (is that the
> right word?) reference but an ip address.

	You can do that if the firewall allows you to access the database
port. Another solution could be that the information that your website
need (job listings) lives in a database server in the same machine where
the website live. Then, they'll can access from the office via access.
That is, perhaps a MySQL, PostgreSQL or Oracle db is better than an Access
database. And, if you want to use access, you always can use ODBC.

	Hope this helps,
		Carlos.

       [ http://www.biologia.org/ :: portal especializado en Biología ]
| e-mail:  ccosta at servidores.net | home page: http://casa.ccp.servidores.net |