[thelist] sql/table design question

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Tue Feb 18 17:20:01 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "rudy" <r937 at interlog.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 10:41 AM

> the better design is a separate table, a "relationship" table, which
> consists of just two columns:
>
>  bookID1
>  bookID2

Rudy,

This is something I've done in the past.  The part about this design I don't
like is when, like you mentioned, it's a bi-directional relationship.  I
always have a tough time deciding whether to insert one record for each
direction or update the select queries to search both fields.  I prefer the
former for speed and maintenance considerations, but it seems like it's
basically doubling the amount of data.

What are your thoughts?

-joshua