[thelist] Doctype switching in IE 6 and missing style properties

Rob Whitener rwhitener at DesignOptions.com
Wed Feb 19 12:09:01 CST 2003

I am trying to be good and use a doctype to declare my HTML version:

This has cleaned up all of the positioning problems I was having.  I was
very happy when I initially added it to the pages on my site.  Then I
realized that another problem had cropped up.  My sticky menu wasn't moving
as the user scrolled the site.  I found some info online and set up a test
for document.documentElement, hoping this would solve my scrollTop woes.  It
didn't.  It seems that when I have the doctype turned on I am able to access
menu.style.top but there is no value there, and when I write to it, I get an
error.  When I lose the doctype, the menu scrolls perfectly.

Does anyone know of any problems with the accessing of reading and writing
style attributes with doctype switched to on?

Thanks,

Rob