[thelist] looking for drop-down menus

Cake cake at brothercake.com
Thu Feb 20 15:43:01 CST 2003

> How do you sell .js files for $1000!?  That's some serious reliance on
the honor
> system right there.  Yeah yeah, I know, unlimited license, 1 site is
five bucks.

It is, as you say, a serious reliance.  I've never deeply questioned it
because, philosphically, I'd rather trust and be damned than mistrust
and never know.  Naïve perhaps, but there's little I can do except adopt
a pragmatic attitude, because the alternatives (remotely-hosted key
variables!?) are too horrible to consider.

> Please note: Clientside code can't be effectively sold.  I guess I'm
evil, but
> it really can't.  I've always found attempts to obfuscate and secure
.js code
> kind of silly.  Not the the author has done that, s/he hasn't.

... It can, and I do :)  It’s no gold mine, but it's a respectable
income ;)

> Won't be as widely supported though...but at what cost full
compatibility.
>  The brothercake menus are so huge and robust that my processor
utilization
> spikes to 100% for a few seconds.  Older machines may crawl with
these.

Fair critism indeed, and you're not the first to say it.  The code
definitely suffers from feature bloat, as a result of my pasting new
features on top of existing code-base to too great an extent. I've
reached this point before, where the only answer is to rip it all down
and start again.

> Anyway, iht.com is my current holy grail of css implemented on a
big-business
> level...I'd love to hear some other opinions.

Oh yes :) that <ul>/CSS paradigm rocks; I can see this becoming *the*
standard way of making menus -

 - pure CSS for good browsers
 + DHTML behaviors for IE
 + XBL or similar for added functionality in moz
 + whatever else comes along in the meantime

Stepping back even further - store the <ul> itself in XML, and do
server-side XSLT to generate a hybrid codebase including any or all of
XHTML/CSS/JS - and then - bingo! You have a dynamic navigation system
that can take any form in any browser.

James

http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/