[thelist] IIS, Novel and Access

Morgan Kelsey morgan at morgankelsey.com
Sun Feb 23 12:36:00 CST 2003

michele,

> We have an Access DB that's to be used both inhouse and on the web site ..
> yes, I know how horrible this is .. but that's the way it is.
>
> We bought some software from MS that allows the Win2k web server machine to
> see the shared drive under Novel. This part is working, when I go to my
> computer on the Win2K machine, I can see the drive and all its files on U:.
>
> What we haven't been able to get to work .. is my ASP code to find the
> Access file that lives on the U: drive. I get different errors depending on
> if I use an ODBC or an OLE Jet 4 connection string.  The ODBC returns a
> registry failure error, whereas the OLE returns a disk or network error.

[snips]

i think you may be trying too hard with access ;o)

you know the problems you're having now, imagine what you'll be getting into if
the website starts getting loads of traffic (assuming it's public).

you *can* make a replica of an access database, and then merge the replica into
the master once a day. there are of course situations where this won't work, but
if the DB is taking orders, or something along those lines, that could be a more
"workable workaround".

however, it really sounds like it might be worth the dough to upgrade to SQL
server at this point. you don't wanna be caught 6 months down the road with a
busted access DB, and a website down for a week while you upgrade, do you?

hth,

nagrom
http://morgankelsey.com