[thelist] Query help?

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Sun Feb 23 14:37:01 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "rudy" <r937 at interlog.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2003 12:54 PM

> for example, he had
>
>   Category varchar(100)  DEFAULT '' NOT NULL ,
>   CategoryID bigint(20)  DEFAULT '' NOT NULL auto_increment,
>
> and my comments were --
>
> don't use INTEGER unless you plan to have more than 32,767

Rudy,

Some databases will skip a bunch of numbers if/when the server crashes.
This is referred to as identity gap in the servers I've worked with.  Does
MySQL have such an anomaly?  If so, what is the default gap?  If there is a
gap then it would seem that this 32k may not be as far fetched as we first
thought.

Also, for MySQL, what is the limit on SMALLINT?  If it's not 8 bit (TINYINT)
and not 16 bit (INTEGER), then what is it?  Certainly SMALLINT would have to
fit in the middle somewhere, but what makes sense?  10 bit?  12 bit?  I
don't know, but it doesn't seem likely that MySQL would find any usefulness
in the bits between whatever a SMALLINT is and 16... so, why not use an
INTEGER anyway?

-joshua