[thelist] email parser

Gijs van Tulder evolt at gmx.net
Mon Feb 24 10:10:37 CST 2003

> From: Les Lytollis
> Subject: [thelist] email parser

Hi LezL,

> Do I write a VB app that manipulates the "body object" of an
> Outlook Express message, or can I write it in something like PHP
> and query the messages on the server.

Using VB to use Outlook Express doesn't seem to be the best and
most stable solution. Using PHP to parse your email is, in my
opinion, a better option. There are different ways to do this:

1. You could let PHP query your email account for Amazon-messages,
   and then let it parse them. See the IMAP/POP3 section of the
   PHP manual: http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.imap.php

2. If you have your own Unix/Linux SMTP server, you could send
   Amazon mail directly to PHP. For more information about this
   you could read my article on evolt.org:
   http://www.evolt.org/article/mail/18/27914/index.html

Option 1 is easier to implement, but you'll need to run it once in
a while to check if there are any messages waiting for you. Option
2 is a bit more work, but in my view a more elegant solution.

HTH,

Gijs

Gijs van Tulder
gvtulder at members.evolt.org