[thelist] Formatting problems with thumbnail page

Roger Ly evolt at matchpenalty.com
Mon Feb 24 16:06:01 CST 2003

Hey all,

I'm having a little trouble getting my thumbnail page to look exactly as
I want: http://members.evolt.org/rogerly/grid_matte.html

Anyways, if you look at the page, the layout is fairly simple, a header,
some description and a bunch of thumbnails at the bottom of the page.

I have three questions, ordered by importance.  Really, only the first
question is really important right now.

1. Is there any way to absolutely center the thumbnail images within
their colored background div?  Each thumbnail is on a gray, 90x90
background.  Since each thumbnail is of variable size, I want to be able
to center horizontally and vertically the image on the gray background.
The only solutions I can find involve either JavaScript or individually
setting the appropriate margin-top's for each image (based on a
(box.height-image.height)/2 formula.  Is there a simple one that doesn't
require me knowing the width/height of the thumbnails I want to center?

2. For the top header, I want the box to end right after the
"HodgePodge" text (after the 8px padding).  I don't want to specify a
specific width, as the content of the header could be variable.

3. NN4.x?  Anything I can do to get this layout working in NN4.x?

PS - For those of you already on the css-d list, this may look familiar.
I haven't received any responses from that list, so I thought I'd try
this list as well..

Thanks,

Roger