[thelist] Dedicated/virtual private servers

Tobyn Baugher toby at rsux.com
Mon Feb 24 23:08:01 CST 2003

On Monday, February 24, 2003 8:36 PM -0800 Abdullah Shaikh
<abdullah at uxdg.com> wrote:

> I left HE.net after they were identified by SPEWS as a
> SPAMMER-FRIENDLY host.  Their ENTIRE netblock which included EVERY IP
> address for EVERYONE of their clients was bounced by ANY email server
> that subscribed to SPEWS.ORG's blackhole listing.
>
> Word to the wise -- STAY AWAY.

To be fair, most sufficiently-large hosting companies have been on
SPEWS' lists at one time or another. To remove all probability of
getting on their lists would basically amount to doing a background
check of all potential customers to ensure they never have been
involved with spam or been a "spam supporter".

I admire what SPEWS does and the fact that they make their work
available to the public. I hate spam as much as anyone. That said,
however warranted it may be their methods are pretty extreme. As long
as he.net took positive action quickly when they found out they were
listed with SPEWS they did about as well as you can expect any hosting
company with more than five customers that's trying to turn a profit to
do.

Regards,

Toby

--