[thelist] From textarea field to SQL Server column

Koutoulas, Pete PKOUTOUL at Fayette.k12.ky.us
Wed Feb 26 10:16:00 CST 2003

On Wednesday, February 26, 2003 10:36 AM, Adam Slesinger wrote:

> I have an asp form that takes the info and updates a SQL Server
> table.  One of the form fields is a textarea field for a long
> description and I'm having trouble getting the value from that field
> into the table.  Sometimes it cuts the submission at 256 characters,
> sometimes it stops earlier when there is a line break and new
> paragraph.  I have been trying different column Data Types in SQL
> server, but am at a loss.  I need to get every bit of info from that
> field - as many characters and line breaks that are entered.  Any
> suggestions on what data type i need for my column, and if i am
> running into a restriction with the textarea field?

I do this all the time. Use 'text' data type. It will hold megs of data.

    [ pete ]

This student or staff email originated from Fayette County Public Schools in
Lexington, KY.
Please report instances of abuse or inappropriate content to
postmaster at fcps.net