[thelist] IIS directory question

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Wed Feb 26 13:03:01 CST 2003

> Well I'd like to STYLE that page

no answer, one full day

i guess it's safe for me to run my idea up your flagpole

(stop that giggling in the back row there)

write your own page

mark it up using UL and LI, and even inline icon images if you wish

link in your site's stylesheet

include branding, logo, chrome

use file services to obtain a directory list, loop through the results, and
print each one using your choice of markup

the idea is that this page works in any folder

save the page under the name of the default file that the web server uses
for folder requests -- default.asp or whatever

copy it into all folders

now here's a neat trick: add logic to "skip over" certain file names

e.g. ones that start with $

now you can place files with those names into a folder and the "directory
list" page that you wrote won't show them

this technique allows you to "hide" a file on your site

you know its name, and can browse right to it

but people who look at the directory list don't know it's there

rudy