[thelist] Resizable Fonts

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Fri Feb 28 04:42:01 CST 2003

On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 03:16  AM, Kae Verens wrote:
> sizing fonts exactly based on pixels is inaccessible.
> On a 14" monitor with resolution 800x600, a 12px font may be
> acceptable,
> but on similar with 1280x1024, it's small. And, depending on the user's
> eyesight, may be impossible to read.
>
> Personally, I resize based on em or %,

But in all current releases of (major) browsers fonts defined as px are
resizable by the browser itself, correct? ... I spent from early spring
to mid-fall doing ActionScript 12+ hrs a day (and afterwards took a
couple months concentrating on playing Civilization) ... when I "left"
the consensus was to use px because it was the "best" thing to do to
insure cross browser/platform continuity ... but now near three "yeas"
in this thread for em or % over px and am wondering why ... like my
current project assumes a minimum resolution ... I need to know the
reasons why my info is outdated (so as to to have an educated rethink
of what I've learned here before).

In short, again, "Why are em / % superior to px?"
Erik Mattheis
GoZz Digital
<http://goZz.com/>
Flash and ColdFusion Development