[thelist] HTML-Kit kind of flaky - will Homesite be updated?

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 28 10:48:00 CST 2003

--- Sarah <poohbear at designshift.com> wrote:
> Anyway, I have been thinking of trying to convince my boss to
> purchase Homesite for the developers in our office, but I don't
> think he will go for it if Homesite will never be updated. I have
> heard that Macromedia has given up on Homesite in favour of
> Dreamweaver, and has no plans to release a new version of
> Homesite. Is this true? (If so, it is a very poor decision
> on Macromedia's part.)

Sarah, as an avid user of HS I looked into this very issue myself.
Based on MM's site, you glean the following facts:

1 - HS will not be updated soon, since they too recently released a
new version.
2 - DreamweaverMX has kind of moved towards 'hand-coding'
functionality, but not to the extent of HS
3 - However, MM claims they are very interested in what the
hand-coding community has to say and have no plans at this time to
remove HS from their product offering.

Glean what you want from that, essentially don't look for an update
soon, but also don't look for it to be cancelled soon. I think MM is
taking a 'wait and see' approach to the product. They do care what we
say because we are customers and buy the product, but there has to
be, I'm sure, enough interest to make it viable. That is mostly why
I'd guess they are 'interested in the needs of hand coders' etc. and
claim they have a 'lot to learn' from us.

I use HS in a production team environment, and I think its great. I
also use it for my own consulting work at home. I'd read it for
myself tho - and maybe point your boss here too.

<http://www.macromedia.com/software/homesite/productinfo/faq/dw_hs_faq.html>

HTH

Tom

=====